Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Cascade Challenge



“The mountains are calling, and I must GO.”
-John Muir-

The simple nature of this quote inspires me to follow my life’s passions. Nature always calls one way or another. It always finds a way to put our way too chaotic existence into perspective. It is in this spirit that I wanted to release my latest project, The Cascade Challenge.

The Cascade Challenge Expedition is a 1,200-mile journey to Bike, Hike, Climb, and Ski 15 of the Cascade Mountains. It will consist of a team of 4-6 people working together to become the first and fastest team to climb almost all of the Cascade Range by only human propulsion. This expedition will test our minds, bodies, and spirits as we strive to complete this endeavor. It will be, by far, the most strenuous and craziest physical endeavor that I have ever set out to complete.

Just over a year ago, I was resting at the summit of the Middle Sister (10,047 Ft.). It was an amazing day and I could see all the way to Mt. Hood far off in the distance. I started to think about the possibility of climbing all the mountains in one long trip. Because the Cascades are all volcanic most of them rest in a line from North to South around a hundred miles inland. It was an idea that I just couldn’t shake from my mind. And after the summer of 2009 passed I started my research.

As an avid cascade mountain climber, skier, and biker, I really wanted to combine all three sports into one multi-sport expedition. I also realized that the only way to complete this endeavor was if you had the right team of people around you. I decided that in order to properly prepare for this journey I need to start work about a year before the kick off date. So after about 4 months of hard work it has come time to start releasing some of the details about the Cascade Challenge.

The official launch of the expedition will be coming with the release of the website around September 1, 2010. Till then I will be writing blog updates and posting pictures on my website.