Saturday, May 9, 2009

Waterfalls of Oregon



One of the truly magnificent parts of Oregon are it's many cascading waterfalls. I will always remember the first time I saw Toketee falls. I had just returned to Ashland from six months on the South Island of New Zealand. I decided to get out and go backpacking by myself and headed up to Toketee falls. When I first saw it I was awestruck and the first thing that came to mind was that this was almost as beautiful as anything I had seen in NZ. From that moment I have known that may of Oregon's treasures lie it is flowing rivers.
Since that time at Toketee Falls, I have tried to find, photograph, and enjoy the many different waterfalls of Oregon. The latest series of falls that I just saw for the first time was Silver Falls State Park. When I saw the 177 foot cascading South Falls I was instantly mesmerized. The sheer amount of Greenery was almost enough to hurt your eyes. If that wasn't enough the trail that led you under the massive falls was by far the most unique feature of the landmark. I don't think I have ever walked under a falls that was that big in anywhere in the world.
After I took my fill of exposures, I tried to get away from the many screaming children and hike tot he next falls on the loop. Lower South Fall's was almost as amazing and the trail took you once again under the 93 foot falls. The sun came out and I decided to lay back and have lunch. The sheer beauty of green's mixing with the water and sunshine should give Oregon the heavyweight title of the Waterfall Champion!!!
So once again I challenge you to go out and find a waterfall near you.